Monday, July 18, 2011

So Why Veganism?

So, there are a lot of questions that I have been asking myself in the past couple weeks, as I move towards six month free of any animal products - eggs, dairy, honey, the works.  Some of the questions have been more sordid, such as how the well am I going to survive for six months plus without ice cream, cheese, or an omelet on Saturday mornings, but some of them have been more serious.  The main serious one is - why veganism?  Why is it something that I feel that I have to do, have to try.  Why not watercolour painting, or classical music, or tarot card reading?  Why is it this that I feel is a responsibility, almost my duty to try?

Some of the reasons that have contributed to my decision to embrace veganism are...

  • Moral issues.  I have been reading a lot lately about factory farming, and the conditions under which my food is made, and frankly, none of it has impressed me.  Do I want to be eating eggs, when I know that they have been raised by chickens juiced up on steroids and subjected to horrendous conditions, packed tightly into a warehouse, barely able to move, let alone get a glimpse of the outdoors?  My omelet is becoming less appealing every second I think about it. 
  • Personal preference/upbringing.  I have been raised to show respect for all humans, and all animals.  I would not abuse any animal, not in a million years, but am I not equally guilty if my actions cause the animals to be abused?  I really can't walk around bearing that burden.  This is obviously a very personal decision, and I do not judge anyone who does not share my beliefs.  I would not expect such a commitment from anyone else, but I expect it of myself. 
  • Health issues.  Vegan food is healthier; that is all there is to it.  And while this is at the bottom of my list, I have been looking to drop 10 or 15 pounds lately, and I am hoping that with a little hard work and exercise, weight loss will be a consequence of my newly acquired dietary habits. 
So, here it goes for me.  I am ready for a new part of my life, and here it goes.  From tomorrow morning, my six months have started, and I am fully devoted to my cause.  

No comments:

Post a Comment